Wednesday, October 2, 2013

DIY White Painted Side Table

diysidetable3
Andi received this little side table from someone at work for free… score! I had the perfect spot for it in mind. The colour definitely had to change though… to white of course!
I started off by sanding all the edges down to the raw wood so I could sand again after the paint job for that shabby look you know I love!
diysidetable1
Duke decided he wanted to help too and I couldn’t stop laughing at him. Eventually he calmed down and decided to have a rest… he did work very hard.
diysidetable2
After sanding down the sides and corners the painting began. When we bought the house there were about 10 cans of white paint in the shed… it was fate I tell you! So this whole project didn’t cost me a cent! Woohoo!
I think I ended up applying about 5 coats of paint to get rid of the mahogany colour. If it was plain wood I would have just whitewashed it and it would have been much quicker!
diy white painted side table 2
Afterwards I lightly sanded over the edges again for the shabby look which unfortunately you can’t see in the photos, I had to edit these shots a lot as you can see because we have been having some crazy wild weather in Aus lately and there’s no light for good photos!
The perfect spot for my dragonfly lamp and yellowstone bear!
diy white painted side table 1
Oh look, you can see a tiny shabby mark there in the corner of the leg!
Linking up with: 504 Main, A Delightsome Life, A Diamond in the Stuff, Alderberry Hill, A Night Owl, A Stroll Thru Life, Be Different, Act Normal, Cheerios & Lattes, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Claire Justine oxox, Coastal Charm, Common Ground, Cozy Little House, Crafts a La Mode, Create with Joy, Cupcake ‘n’ Bake, DIY by Design, DIY Dreamer, Domesblissity, Ducks ‘n a Row, Elizabeth & Co, Feeding Big, Green Willow Pond, Happy Go Lucky, Hickory Trail, Home Maker on a Dime, Ivy & Elephants, Katherines Corner, Kathe with an E, Lil Luna, Live Laugh Rowe, Liz Marie, Lolly Jane, Mop it Up, Love Bakes Good Cakes, Milk & Cuddles, Mostly Homemade Mom, No Minimalist Here, Our Delightful Home, Petals to Picots, Pursuit of Functional Home, Salt Tree, Say G’Day Saturday, Savvy Southern Style, Serenity Now, Shabby Creek Cottage, Share Your Cup, Sincerely, Paula, Six Sisters Stuff, Someday Crafts, Southern Lovely, Sugar & Dots, The Best Blog Recipes, The Trendy Treehouse, This Gal Cooks, Too Much Time, Weekly Creative, We Like to Learn as We Go, While he was Napping, Charm of Home, French Country Cottage, House on the Way, Primp Junktion, Romantic Home, Diana Rambles, Dukes & Duchesses, Ginger Snap Crafts, Katie’s Nesting Spot, Life we Live 4, Redoux, Say Not Sweet, Sunday Showcase Party, Tatertots & Jello, PoPP, Lilyfield Life, Time Washed.

17 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! I love the crisp white with your stunning lamp! What a score indeed! Great work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great score. I love it when a project is FOC. She is very sweet.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic right! I don't think free happens very often so it feels good when it does! :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely,I did exactly the same thing with an identical one. I am visiting from A delightsome life. I am from Aus too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo really?? :D Thanks so much for finding me! I will be stopping over for sure!

      Delete
  4. great job, and super cute helper. mine are just as helpful, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, you have inspired me to go and paint that old table now. Found you via @clairejustineo #Weekendbloghop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That's exciting! If you blog it please do come back and share! :D

      Delete
  6. well, it turned out great, I can tell that Duke is a real asset in the painting and makeover department! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debra... he is such a help in that he knows not to get the paint on himself though! :) haha

      Delete
  7. Very cute! I have about 4 end tables in my basement begging for makeovers. Thanks for the inspiration! I love the sanding effect you used for the shabby look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4! Wow! That will take a while so you'd better get going! haha If you do please come back and share!!! I'd love to see them.

      Delete
  8. Such a cute table and can't beat free that's for sure! I just posted about a little table I painted white this past weekend. Mine cost me $10, but I love it! Love that shabby look too! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some furniture was just meant to be white I think Kirsty. Beautiful. Thanks so much for linking up to Thriving on Thursdays.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks terrific white and the kitty is just marvelous! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I love you for commenting!