Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Origami Boxes

Advent Origami Masu Box #1
For Christmas I decided to make my lovely Andi an advent calendar out of little origami “Masu” boxes. These boxes are pretty excellent for anything, presents, as gift boxes (an environmentally friendly choice too) and you can make them any size you want.
Because I was making so many, 50 in total (top and bottom) I decided to use regular old computer paper. I have made these with much thicker card paper before, for present boxes which have turned out great too.
Your paper needs to be square so I had to cut mine. For these boxes I just measured the small side of the A4 paper and cut the longer end to match. But as I said, you can make any size you want, it just depends on how big your paper or card is. These boxes are approximately 3 inches x 3 inches or 7.5cm x 7.5cm.
After you cut out the top of your box you need to cut a slightly smaller piece for the bottom. I only made mine half a cm smaller, that’s around 0.2 inches.
Advent Origami Masu Box #4
Once I had cut out my paper I stamped both sides of each piece. For my boxes I left a section in the middle of each piece blank, this is where I wrote the numbers. But for gift boxes it’s probably best to stamp all around, or of course decorate the box any way you like.
Then comes the fun part, making the origami boxes! I used the website www.origami-fun.com to make my box. They have heaps of excellent crafts and ideas. But you can view and print out the pdf tutorial on the “Masu” box here. It’s very simple and the instructions are very easy to follow.
Advent Origami Masu Box #2
Once you have made your box you can then fill it with your gift or lollies like I did! Yum! As vegans we can not simply go and buy an advent calendar off the shelf. However getting lots of pretty boxes filled with your favourites is better than one little piece of cheap chocolate any day!
Have Fun!
P.S. You can find all the materials you need to make Advent Origami Boxes here with savings. Advent Origami Masu Box #3

18 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I just added a link to your post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2010/11/26/december-family-and-homeschool-activities/

    ReplyDelete
  2. two things...
    1. great idea. I might do this for my nephew.

    2. loved your comment on my blog! (Shawn Michaels) It took me right back to my love for him. I guess he didn't get my memo that he was not supposed to age and wait until I was old enough to marry him then he could start aging again. HAHAHAH

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea...amy @ http://mommetime.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea.. Any home made gift is a gift made with love, its wonderful :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Idea Kirsty!!! I bet Andi Loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a delicate innovative and fun idea. Well done, Kirsty. A blessed Christmas for you and yours xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's brilliant! My sons LOVE origami. Why have I never thought of this??????? I'm going to show them this and see what they think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! I wish that I still had young ones around the house to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute, and I love any advent calendar that lets you put your own gifts inside! Thanks for linking up, I'm delighted to find your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful Advent project! So glad I stopped by from Rachel Cotterill's linky party! Happy Holidays! Best, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is neat! I think I may try this craft with my kids over the holidays. We could use them as gift boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea!! Very cute and cool. I also like that you can put your own items in the calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember those Pez sweets from when I was little but I havewn't seen them in aaaages. It makes me feel all nostalgic to see them now - I used to get them in my stocking!!!

    I love this idea. They all look so great together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent idea. I look forward to trying it another year. They look so neat and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute! I shared this post with my friends on my personal facebook :D hope you don't mind :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter and I have been taking a little origami class at our homeschool co-op. She will love these when I show them to her! Very, very cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love you for commenting!