Thursday, July 8, 2010

Gardening Patches

Lately I have been thinking about my to-be garden. Now at the moment I know NOTHING about gardening... but I'm very eager to learn... everything! Andi is going to put down some pipes in the land soon so we will have running water and will be able to plant!

Andi and I are both very keen on being as self-sufficient as possible when it comes to the garden. Not only is it eco-friendly but I hate knowing that I'm eating pesticides when I eat fruit and veg... plargh! Though I'm not such a dreamer that I think that will become a thing of the past... I know I will still have to buy food but I have always wanted my own little veggie patch... Haven't you?


I took a shot of this garden as I was walking by because seeing the huge veggie patch and compost bins got me thinking  about a gardening segment I watched on the tv a while back. And I remembered a couple of fabulous sites it sent me to, welcome Eden Seeds and The Lost Seed , both companies which sell rare and heirloom seed varieties.

They use organic sprays and you can buy non-hybrid seeds from them, yay! I have noticed a phasing out of original vegetables so this is a massive plus! Apparently the fruits and vegetables from here are more nutritious and better tasting.. Obviously I can't be sure of that. It brings up the whole organic vs non-organic debate, where people get rather fiesty about claims that organic is better for you. This is absolutely true though. They may not have more vitamins or whatever inside... but they are free from pesticides which means you're not putting poison in your body. And in my book that is more nutritious!

Anyway getting back on topic, Andi already has a little design in his head about the patches. Railway sleepers and a rounded top so that the bunnies and native hens don't go eating all our yummies! Our friend Chris is interested as well so he might pitch in and make his own little veggie spot in the garden too. 

Of course I'm not only thinking veggie patches here, I want an entire variety of gorgeous plants around the place. I suppose most of that will have to be done after all the building is complete, which is a long way off but we want natives for the wildlife to enjoy and we get natives free off the council... hooray! I am also very partial to cottage gardens though... I loove fox gloves, roses and all that goodness... so we'll just have to make everything fit in together.. I hope.

Now please comment and share all your wonderful gardening tips and advice for me! I'm sure you've all got great stories to tell!

18 comments:

  1. Oh, good luck with your garden. I'm sure that you have many readers that can give you great tips. I used to enjoy container gardening when I had a condo with an outdoor patio. I grew the best lettuce one year. Keep us posted on your progress!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no gardening tips because I don't really garden; however, I have been thinking about starting one next spring. I think growing my own veggies would be really neat. How hard was it to set up the garden you have going on?

    ~Meg @ "Through the Roses"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best tip I can offer is to add "gardening" to your intrests on your profile, then click on it. There are a lot of very wonderful garden blogs out there. As to the old argument about organic vs other, organic just plain tastes better!
    Have fun with it.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best tip I can offer is to add "gardening" to your intrests on your profile, then click on it. There are a lot of very wonderful garden blogs out there. As to the old argument about organic vs other, organic just plain tastes better!
    Have fun with it.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your garden! I'm making my first attempt at keeping a tomato plant alive :) It's survived two months now, this is an all time record!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your garden! I'm making my first attempt at keeping a tomato plant alive :) It's survived two months now, this is an all time record!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will have so much fun with your garden. I started planting 15 yrs ago here at the homestead. At first it was just shrubs trees and flowers. The past 3 yrs I have grew peas toms peppers onions & potatoes all among my other things. Ihis yr. I tryed mint & basil. They are both really better fresh. I dream of my own little potting shed with one side housing a green house and a small tool shed looking like a old time outhouse. Some day. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting me!
    Gardening is A LOT of work...and growing veggies is awesome and good for you as you mentioned! I don't take care of mine like I should..mayabe the hot & humid weather has something to do with it!! I have 1 tomato plant and then some flowers. Raspberries too and this year the plants don't look so good...we have a local "farmers market" that sell fruits & veggies.
    Looks you live in a wonderful area.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for visiting my blog! We started our first garden last year and enjoy it so! We are real amateurs but we're learning as we go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck! Our garden is doing great! We make sure to put manure in the soil every year and it makes the plants grow so big!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! My comments have returned from Blogger and now they are no longer "lost".

    Have a great day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi kirsty,
    i'm still very much a beginner gardener but have learned a lot and gotten so much enjoyment out of it. you'd be amazed at just how much food a small patch of a garden can bring. and taking an organic approach to it makes it even more challenging and fun, and gives you a great appreciation for our ancestors who had to grow their own without the "help" of all those chemicals! there are some great books out there on this topic.
    have fun planning!
    ~ ana

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've been gardening for a couple of years, but we are still very much learning!! (Ive blogged about the garden a few times, if you go back a little you will find them) We canned 50 pints of green beans from 3 rows of beans this year. Right now we have pumpkins planted, we are attempting to have a real pumpkin patch to sell pumpkins come Halloween. I hope it works!!

    We found an amazing tool this year, to help combat & remove weeds. It's called a scuffle or stirrup hoe, it works AWESOME!!

    .http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=scuffle%20hoe&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I have no tips for the garden, as my hubby is the gardener. He's from Russia and appreciates every little bit of space we have. In the front, he planted about a million daisies, and everyone comments on them (wish I could take credit!). In the back, we have a large vegetable garden, the cucumbers and tomatoes are my favorite! We don't have bunnies, but lots of crawly critters that attack the plants :( Good luck with your garden! Can't wait to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For us, gardening is just a natural thing to do. Seems I have grown veggies all my life. My grandparents did and my parents did and now we do. There are no better produce than your own produce. I don't know if we qualify as organic gardeners but we use nothing artificial--no pesticides and composted material for fertilizer. Hubby does use epsom salts, but only when something seems stunted. We grow potatoes, green beans, carrots, radishes, tomatoes, all kinds of peppers, onions, kohlrabi, zucchini, summer squash, pumpkins, gourds( gotta have those fall displays) and our neighbor has a huge sweet corn patch. Not only do we grow these things, we can and freeze many of them. My favorite is the mix of everything for soup. We can about 2 dozen quarts of the stuff and it barely lasts a winter!
    It is so good. You can add roast beef or chicken for veggie stew or spices and ground beef for chili. We have even grown kidney beans and pintos but discovered it is much easier to buy those and cook to can.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. So many people do leave those breezy little comments like 'nice job' or 'love it'. I'm guilty of it on occasion but I had not heard that it was really a form of insult. I will be watching myself from here on. I do love your pictures and your painting. I could never even begin to do such work. I did paint by number when I was a kid and unfortunately my mother saved enough of those to prove that I have no real talent. The shading and shadows, making things look distant---so many concepts I just can't figure out. I envy your talent. And I am going to enjoy seeing pictures of your countryside, as I will never see it for myself! ★Linda★
    BTW~I am a rambler........

    ReplyDelete
  15. It says two things---my comment was too large to post----and it was saved for comment moderation. Please let me know which is true. I said a lot-obviously! LOL ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kirsty,

    Thank you for stopping by. The crowns are cute aren't they?
    Girl, I am no gardener so I have no advice to offer.
    It sounds like a lovely idea. Take pics.

    big hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW, you are so adventurous with this gardening stuff! I wish I was as daring LOL...I can't wait to see pictures of it coming along!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sadly I do not have a green thumb... actually I have the complete opposite... so I won't attempt to offer advice! However I find your vision inspiring and would love to hear more about it, and what you learn along the way!! :) Hazel

    ReplyDelete

I love you for commenting!